Computer eye strain has become a major prblem as we spend more and more time staring at the dreaded computer screen. Problems can range from physical fatigue, decreased productivity, work errors, to minor annoyances like eye twitching and red eyes.
Here are 10 easy steps you can take to reduce your risk of computer eye strain:
1. The big one! - Have a comprehensive eye exam, this is the most important thing you can do to prevent or treat computer vision problems.
Pro-tip: Measure how far your eyes are from your screen when you sit at your computer, and bring this measurement to your exam so your eye specialist can test your eyes at that specific working distance.
2. Get rid of glare! - Eliminate exterior light by closing drapes, shades or blinds. If possible, position your computer monitor or screen so windows are to the side, instead of in front or behind it.
Pro-tip: If you wear glasses, lenses with Anti Reflective Coating reduces glare by minimizing the amount of light reflecting off the front and back surfaces of your lenses.
3. Bigger is better! - Choose a large display that has a diagonal screen size of at least 19 inches.
Pro-tip: Adjusting the brightness, text size, contrast and colour can help to reduce eye strain. Reduce the amount of blue light emitted by a colour display for better long-term viewing comfort.
4. Blink to agree - When working at a computer, people blink less frequently — about one-third as often as they normally do. Blinking moistens your eyes to prevent dryness and irritation.
5. 20/20 vision - Look away from your computer at least every 20 minutes and gaze at a distant object (at least 20 feet away) for at least 20 seconds. This is called the the "20-20-20 rule.
Pro-tip: During your computer breaks, stand up, move about and stretch your arms, legs, back, neck and shoulders to reduce tension and muscle fatigue.
6. Customise your space - Place written pages on a copy stand adjacent to the monitor and adjust your workstation and chair to the correct height.
Pro-tip: You can ask your optician to professional modify your glasses prescription to create custom computer glasses. This is especially true if you normally wear Varifocals or Bifocals.